Thursday, October 28, 2010

Welcome home!

Yesterday I arrived at the airport of Amsterdam back in Holland. I was warmly welcomed…rain, storm, the watery cold that is so typical for this small country.
We did some shopping at the H&M and the HEMA, which is still one of my favourite stores in Holland, they have everything from bra’s to baby socks to paperclips or Dutch pastry. I always buy my tights there, they are cheap and of a good quality.

Of course the airport is the place where you should be selling tights as the stewardesses need about a pair a day of the skin-coloured ones. I flew with KLM and I still find their hostesses quite charming and elegant. They wear straight forward blue suits with black heels, have mostly blond hair and long legs. You are always welcomed with a Dutch “Goedemiddag” on the plain, which makes you feel at home, the Dutch sandwiches they serve emphasize  that feeling. And the good thing about KLM is that you can fly as cheap as 'Easy'jet but there is no comparison in the comfort or the service you get. You can take more luggage, pick your own seat and you get lunch on the plane! I am converted!

Back at home I found so many beautiful things on the table as my mom likes to make little altars, as I call them, of pretty things. Vases of flowers in the hallway, a blouse made of violets in the kitchen, lavender next to the teapot and books with beautiful covers are spread all over the house.

My mom cooked me an old fashioned Dutch meal;  meat that had been slowcooking in a casserole for hours with oven potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Delicious! And appletart with cream for dessert.  Now that was a real warm welcome!

Dutch raisin rolls made in Como

The amazing view from the plane

Dutch dinner by my mom

altar one

altar two

altar three

No comments:

Post a Comment