Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Earth

Since I've been  living in Como I have been to 4 trend forecast presentations by Li Edelkoort. I must say that I have been lucky, as you may know it costs a fortune to see Li speak about the future of fashion, textile and design.

Her presentations always give me such a boost of happiness, of inspiration. Besides a head full of beautiful images this presentation left me with a somewhat worried mind...

'Earth matters' was the theme for the summer of 2012. Earth and her beauty, earth and her pain. Earth and how her citizens treat her.

It started with a poem by Michael Jackson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VWXsFM1nIo


Li talked about how we are mistreating our planet earth and how we are more and more able to change our ways. How we can better our ways of production, of eating, of traveling of using our waste.

Her presentations are always based on different themes that each have their own atmosphere to explain the new colours, textures and use of fabrics. She communicates them through the most beautiful images she takes from everywhere. They may come from the newest Vogue or the National Geographic or from their own studio in Paris. I even recognized a leather suit by a young Dutch designer!

I was again amazed by the beauty the earth has in her. All inspiration eventually comes from nature as there is where it all started.

To me there is nothing more beautiful then the colours of birds, butterflies and fish.
The shapes of thick white accumulating clouds in a crisp blue sky.
The incredible shapes, smells and patterns of flowers.
Or how everything in wildlife collaborates, everything functions so perfect. Have you ever seen how a bee gets his nectar from a flower while his belly rubs the stamen to fertilize the next flower he visits.
(see the movie Adaptation with Meryl Streep and Nicolas Cage)
The golden shimmering of the autumn evening sun in a lake.
The elegance of the legs of an antelope or the way a cat washes her ears.

Or....I can go on and on for hours as you can see..but I have my next dinner to plan and cook so, see you tomorrow!


Bird by Lisa Weinberg

clouds above the lake

eco beans


1 comment: