Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Amsterdam

I was born in Amsterdam on the 1st of october 1983, I lived there for six years as a little girl.
I made my first friends there, went to my first school and made my first memories in Amsterdam.
One that I will always remember is my teachers sweater catching fire, I think it was because of the candles on a birthday cake. ( must have been something with a cake, or I would not have remembered it.) Another thing I will never forget is when I got a hole in my tights and my brother had the biggest laugh with his friend about it!

I've always loved Amsterdam and I still see it as my hometown, It feels like home every time I go there. More than the other places I've lived.
Since I live in Italy it's even become more attractive to me, I wonder through the streets as if I were a tourist. Things change so quickly in a big city that I can discover new shops/buildings/clubs/restaurants/bakeries and off course people every few months I visit.

There are some typical Dutch delicious things I like to eat whenever I go. For example fries, the thick ones which originally come from Belgium, with a sour mayonnaise. Or brown thick sliced bread( preferably Allinson) with aged cheese, like Old Amsterdam, and Dijon mustard. Even the 'Kroketten' I can't really resist in the wintertime.
And last but not at all least...the Dutch Apple-pie at 'Winkel' on the corner of the Noordermarkt and the Westerstraat, simply divine!
I know it doesn't sound all that healthy but these are the things you shouldn’t leave out if you ever go there. Or if you live there, have them every once in a while and you'll appreciate Dutch food more than ever.  



Van Dobben kroketten

Nieuwmarkt

singel


1 comment:

  1. sorry I put my comment on Amsterdam under your message of 12th October

    ReplyDelete