Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lugano

Last friday I went to Lugano for a job interview. I took the very posh fast train there, just because the Italian train website didn't tell me there was a cheaper one. Somehow I picked the most beautiful day of the month and as soon as I stepped out of the train I saw the amazing view! Snowy mountains, trees in their autumn outfits, the stunning lake and a beautiful old city waiting for me to be discovered. I walked my way down to the city as I passed pretty churches, lots of ecological shops (they are obviously much more into bio products here, Italy is still a bit slow on that, unfortunately.) and nicely dressed, kind people.
As soon as I put one foot on the street to cross it, cars stopped and the driver gave me a gentle smile giving me the green sign. In Italy this is something totally strange, yesterday a car speeded up when he saw family with a buggy, ready to cross the street. There seems to be a different kind of mentality when people are on the road here. I always look the driver in the eyes, to make sure he/she sees me....stick my leg out...and GO!! That usually works ok, I haven't been hit yet...

Well, back to Lugano, a Swiss city just across the Italian border. After my interview, which went well, I walked down to the lake. I photographed the most beautiful trees and sat on a bench like an old lady (at some point all the street workers were taking their lunch-break just a stones throw away).
Then I got some Swiss Francs out the wall and looked for a bakery to have my pretzel with ham, a very delicious traditional food here. They cut the salty buns in half, put some sweet real butter on it and a thick slice of boiled ham, Mmm!
I sat near the window, the best table in the place, so I could do some serious people watching. I had a pretzel with ham and cheese and fresh orange juice. Then I decided to go for a dessert as well..a very heavy rum-raisin-chocolate boule with a coffee. Enough to load myself up for some shopping (without buying). All in all I had a wonderful day by myself, wondering around this pretty city. I took the train back to Como. While listening to the melancholic voice of Inessa Galante I watched the view pass by, thinking I might just see this every day in the near future....

Lago di Lugano




sticky leaves


My Pretzel


No comments:

Post a Comment