Monday, November 22, 2010

Did you know...?

....Why Mozzarella is called Mozzarella? It comes from the word mozzare, which means to cut off. This is how the balls of the very young cheese are shaped. In very little time the milk of the buffalo is turned into this wonderful thing called Mozzarella di Buffala! 
My favorite way to eat it is with fresh figs, balsamic vinegar, very good olive oil and fresh ground black pepper. And maybe even a leave of basil on top!




....That pancetta means belly, as the bacon is made from the belly fat of the pork.

...Well you probably do...but I'll tell you anyway because it's such a nice one; Tiramisu means, pull me up! As there is coffee in the desert which gives you a bit of energy after a heavy dinner. I always mix my mascarpone with some Grand Marnier to give it an extra kick.

My Tiramisu recipe for about 4:

- a pack of the thick Italian savoiardi
- 2 cups of espresso
- 250 gr of mascarpone
- about 50 gr of sugar (more or less according to your taste)
- a slosh of Grand Marnier or any liqueur you like.

Mix the mascarpone with the liqueur and the sugar until smooth. Put one layer of savoiardi in a serving dish (about 20x20 cm if you have it) and poor over the first cup of hot coffee. Then smear a layer of the mascarpone on top. Then another layer of savoiardi and coffee and mascarpone. Sometimes, when I want to impress my Italian friends, I put some raspberries in there aswell! I finish the dish, not with coco powder as that sticks to your mouth or makes you sneeze, with a layer of grated dark chocolate!

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment