Friday, January 21, 2011

Free your mind!

I was just thinking about the things that free my mind. I mean, that make my worries go away for a while and that make me feel light and airy, free.
Today it's another very beautiful, sunny, cold day in Como which already makes me feel free to do what I want. The strong bright light on the city makes it live.

I think getting on my racing bike and riding 45 km an hour down the hill is one of the things that make me feel most free. It feels almost like you're flying off a mountain with just a safety parachute on your back.
You're completely alone, one with the road, the wind and your bike.

I know I sound like a very experienced cyclist, but even after a year I know how it feels to be free on your bike. I had the same feeling last night during our spinning course. I was going pretty fast and was sweating like an otter (as we say in Dutch). It always surprises me what a body can do, not excluding the mind.

Then there is something else I got to experience through my new life, Love here in Italy...the Opera.
On one of our many surprise date my Love took me to 'La Traviata' by Giuseppe Verdi in Varese.
The first time I went to this opera, it's my loves favorite. The story is heartbreaking and at some points it felt like my blood stopped flowing and I could't breath. The music gets right into your system and makes you feel all the drama, the power of opera that is.

We have also seen 'Il Trovatore' in the very impressive opera of Verona on the lovely warm summer night of my mom's birthday. What a magical experience, and what an amazing decor!

To me the freedom in going to the opera is that you can let your emotions go wherever they want to go. Their even triggered out of their shell.

The next one we'll be going to is 'Tosca' by Giacomo Puccini in Teatro della Scala in Milano! I'm really looking forward to another 'Julia Roberts in Pretty woman experience' (god, I love that movie!). And I have the music on my Ipod, sung by Maria Callas, so beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment