Monday, January 10, 2011

Flying easy

As you might have noticed, I have not been blogging for a while. I’ve been on a lovely long christmas holiday! 
It started on the 24th of december. We flew with KLM from Milano to Amsterdam. 
I love KLM, not only because the stewards speak Dutch ( even though that gives the flight a homey feeling), but because of their service. It starts with booking your flight on the internet, a nicely designed website and an easy to follow step-by-step booking process. 
On the Milano-Amsterdam line they often have great offers (so, come and visit me, my Amsterdam friends!!).
Then, when you get to the airport there are pretty looking stewardesses dresses in a calming shade of blue, ready to take you to your next destination. You can bring a generous 23 kg with you, plus another 12 in the cabin (I once took my sewing machine and a handbag with me, my very fragile machine got his own VIM (very important machine) on the flight!). Not too bad if you look at other low budget airlines like Easyjet. There, you can only bring 20 kg and you’re paying an extra 22 euro’s for it too! Let alone the hand baggage, one small piece. And if you have another small bag with you it HAS TO FIT into the other bag, or you can forget about your flight!
Well, back to the pro’s on KLM...as soon as you enter the plane you’re welcomed by friendly people who show you to your seat and serve you free drinks, a (Dutch!) sandwich and a coffee (unfortunately still the ‘slootwater’ the Dutch like so much) or tea with a Dutch biscuit. Not too shabby for a 100 euro return flight. All in all I became a KLM fan! I know not all their flights are a economic as the ones I have taken but I’d rather pay 20 euro’s more and fly easy then pay less and fly with Easyjet...
So even with all the snowy weather forecasts, we arrived perfectly in time to have a Gluhwein in the typical Dutch ‘Cafe de Prins on the Prinsengracht and then another (my moms home made) Gluhwein while standing in line to get into the Westerkerk. I’m not a church go-er, but this is an annual tradition I have with my family. We drink hot chocolate and wine and we sing all the christmas songs with the full content of our lungs! 
I’ll tell you more about my holiday later!






No comments:

Post a Comment